Sunday, June 9, 2013

Making Difficult Choices

I made the announcement last week that I will be closing down Anointed Beauty and will be going back to Cheveux Hair Salon. This was not an easy decision to make, and I'd like to just give a little more explanation for those who would like more details.

I have always dreamed of owning my own hair salon, it is something I've wanted since I was a little girl.  When the opportunity came for me to realize my dream, I looked at the potential and possibilities and decided that it was worth the risk to try it.  I was right!  I love being a salon owner!  From designing the layout and maximizing my space to setting a soothing tone and building the web presence, every step of the way was so very exciting to me!  I made some amazing relationships while at Anointed Beauty that I will cherish forever.  I believe with all my heart that God led the way and has been at the forefront of the business since day one. 

 It is because I know God is leading that I am confident that closing Anointed Beauty is the right choice now even though it is still so young.  A lot of things have changed along the way, and there are a lot of things that I just didn't expect.  Back in March, I started to feel like God was beginning to change my direction, but I had no idea what that would mean.  In fact, I confided in a few people that I just felt like God was getting ready to ask me to give this up soon, but I couldn't explain where that feeling was coming from.  I was so distraught over what I was supposed to do that it became a barrier to the rest of my life.  So, I began a journal to document my prayers, scriptures God brought to mind, steps I was taking, and things God was doing.  I had already spent several months searching out other locations that I could move the salon to.  I thought I found the perfect space and really believed that God was going to work it out, but it wasn't His plan for me. My other option was to stay where I was and continue on.  I started to push a little harder to expand inside the building, but that didn't seem to be God's plan either.  To leave the salon as it was just was not working.  Then, I found out that my shoulder is all kinds of messed up and that I might have to have surgery to fix a tear, a cyst, and a myriad of other things that are wrong.  It turns out that we are going to try physical therapy first, and then will move on to my neck, back, and other shoulder.  I also lost a couple of my girls and several clients who moved away.  All of this caused me to really take a hard look at what I was supposed to do.  With the rising expenses of owning a salon, I found myself working every minute of the day.  When I wasn't behind the chair, I was on the computer.  When I wasn't physically working on it, I was thinking about new ideas and what I had to do.  This is absolutely not fair to my family.  I never intended for my career to consume me so much that it gets in the way of my family.  In the beginning, I was able to balance it and it was a benefit to our family.  With all of the changes over the last year, it is now becoming a hindrance.  So, I had to come to a decision.  I started again looking at all my options that would be the best for our finances, my health, and our family.  When I went to Mark at Cheveux to share my struggle and see if he had a chair, I was overwhelmed by the response I got.  The timing could not have been more perfect. The set up will still give me a sense of independence with the full support of great friends.  I have felt at peace about my direction for the first time since March when I started recording this piece of my journey.  

I don't have all the answers, but I am confident that God doesn't make mistakes.  He has gone before me in this, just as He always has.  I know that He knows where I'm going to be tomorrow, next week, next year, and the rest of my life and I trust Him completely when He tells me to do something.  I would much rather trust Him with my future than to push for something I want instead.  I sincerely appreciate the kind words and support from my friends, family, and clients.  Giving up a dream is never easy, but my life isn't about my dreams.  It's all about God's plan for me.  I am very grateful that He is still allowing me to do hair and minister to my clients and I will continue to do so as long as my health allows. 

Thank you for joining me in my journey, you mean more to me than you'll ever know!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment