Saturday, January 25, 2014

My Top 5 Beauty Secrets

I hate winter.  No, I mean that I REALLY hate winter.  This year has been especially trying as we have had more plans interrupted, more days trapped in the house, and the coldest temps I have seen in all my 34 years, and we still have 2 more months of winter!  My nails crack like glass, my skin is dry and calloused, and my hair won't curl.  As a professional in the beauty industry, these things are fairly important to me even though they aren't my main focus.  So, I remind myself that in the grand scheme of life, those inconveniences just aren't that serious.

It's times like this that I think about Proverbs 31:30 and remember that beauty is only temporary.  We age, we wrinkle, we go through seasons of hair that won't do a thing for us.  As a beauty professional, it's my job to offer services and advice in order to slow or at least mask the process of aging, and I am asked to fulfill that role daily.  There's nothing wrong with coloring our gray hair, or using a skin care that will help decrease the signs of aging.  I have no problems with dressing nice, putting on some flattering jewelry, styling up my tinted hair, and covering up my uneven skin tone with a nice foundation.  What I struggle with is the constant nagging that I'm SUPPOSED to do those things.  What if I just want to go out in my sweats with no makeup and let my hair go boring once in a while?  You know what happens when I go out with no makeup or dressed down a little bit?  800 people want to know if I'm feeling ok!  (Yes, that's an exaggeration).

 Seriously though.... I Peter 3:4 says that it's not about what I am on the outside, it's the hidden person of the heart that matters.  So what do I want people to see in me?  I'll tell you right now, it's not my makeup or hair or the way I dress.  Here are the top 5 things I hope others see in my life.  If not, then I have some work to do and it doesn't involve a brush and mirror!

                       1.  Jesus - I am a follower of Jesus Christ.  He is the only way to God.  So many are searching for whatever they think will bring fulfillment in life, and the world is wandering around in the dark.  I have found the light, and it's Jesus Christ.  (John 8:12)  I hope that my words and my actions show those around me that they can have this light too.  My number one desire is to see others come to Christ.
               2.  A Happy Marriage and Family - God instituted marriage, beginning with Adam and Eve, to be a beautiful picture of Jesus Christ as the bridegroom of His church.  My marriage is my second priority after my relationship with the Lord.  Yes, my husband ranks higher in priority than my children, and they like it that way.  A healthy family cannot start without a healthy marriage.  It is very important to me that I do whatever necessary to make sure my marriage is thriving and then that we are raising our children in a way that pleases the Lord.
               3.  Peace - In a Facebook world, where drama is all around us, it's very important to me that others see a peace about me that only God can give.  When I don't show that peace, it's because I've given into the temptation to worry.  I know that God doesn't make mistakes and all things He brings into my life are for a reason.  While I grieve and sorrow when facing heavy trials, I want others to also see the peace I have in the midst of my grief.
               4.  A Servants Heart - Jesus came to serve, not to be served. (Matthew 20:28) I pray that God gives me His heart to serve others.  I never want to be looked at as someone who only takes and never gives.  I know that I cannot serve every need, every time, but I can do what I can to meet the needs of those around me.
                      5.  A Gentle Spirit - I used to grit my teeth when I read that passage in 1 Peter 3.  The rest of verse 4 reads "with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."  I am NOT a quiet person.  No matter what I try, I just have a loud personality.  It's who I am.  So, you can imagine how much guilt I have carried in knowing that I just don't know how I can be pleasing to God in this way.  As much as I prayed, I just can't get that quietness.  Then, during a recent Bible Study, it was explained that this has nothing to do with volume and personality types.  WHAT?!  As I took inventory of some of the people I have known, I realized that I know some very "quiet" people who are just mean spirited.  They may be gentle in personality, but don't cross them or you're in big trouble.  I've also known some very LOUD people who have the gentlest and kindest spirit you will ever find.  Whew!  I can have a quiet and gentle spirit that only comes from the Lord, and I hope that shows through in my boisterous personality.

If others see these things in me, than who cares if my hair is perfect or my makeup is done.  I absolutely love my job as a beauty professional, but I want to be known for my inner beauty first.  I hope that's clear to those who sit in my chair.  How's your inner beauty?  

No comments:

Post a Comment